The Blue Ridge Kiwanis Club started July 1931 and was initially sponsored by the Copperhill Kiwanis, the largest club in the area. The meetings were originally held at the Blue Ridge Hotel (where Coldwell Banker is located today), then moved to Earl’s Steakhouse by the marina. The name later changed to Harry’s Steakhouse in the 1960’s, where the meals were all served “family-style”. The club then moved to the Fannin Inn, and then to it’s current home at the Circle J Restaurant.
The property on Jones Street, now known as the “Fairgrounds”, were donated to the Club around 1957 by Mr. Eaton, the President of Fannin County Bank and a loyal member of the Kiwanis Club. The County Fair was held on this spot for several decades, where they judged livestock, jellies and jams, quilts, and other typical county fair activities. Today, the back room of the bingo hall is still called the “Pig Barn” by many old timers.